Mental Kitty Litter

OK, let´s face it - this is a REALLY worthless blog, and in case you are NOT interested in cats and especialy "Kitty Litterature" - you might find it extremely boring. Besides, this is Rebecca´s fault, and the whole thing started as an inside joke about blogs in general, and the boring things people feel compelled to write in their blogs. But then I got hooked - and I can no longer stop myself from writing boring stuff about me and my cats.[Don´t tell me I didn´t warn you!]

Name:
Location: Österbotten, Finland

I´m a middleaged woman who likes cats and books and people - sometimes... And yes, I can be very grumpy.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Dreams and other strange things

I woke up a while ago, certain that I had heard a cat... But there are no cats in this house, so I must have been dreaming. I had a lot of strange dreams, now that I think of it, but they are quickly slipping away. Lately I´ve been thinking of starting a new "Dream Diary", like the one I had during my first year in Washington D.C. But I don´t know. It might get out of hand, because the more I pay attention to my dreams, the more dreams I usually remember, and the more dreams I remember, the more I have to write down, and if I get completely obsessed with my own dream world it will take so much of my time and energy that I won´t have time for a life... I might end up being this absolutely crazy old woman, living alone in her house, with her cats, never going out, since she´s constantly dreaming - or writing down her most recent dreams. In D.C., 1993-94, for a while I had a much more active "night life" than an actual "life". It´s scary reading, though, all those dreams are so filled with angst and fear and unhappiness. But I got over it, so it was probably good to write down all that shit to get it out of my system. Much later I decided to print out my "Dream World" - and it was hundreds of pages. I still have those pages in a box, somewhere.

I use my husband´s computer now, in his little 'home office'... a nice room, with a sea view. Everybody is still asleep, and the only reason I´m awake is that I had to get up to drink something hot, because for a week now I´ve had this stubborn cold that I don´t seem to get rid of. My punishment for smoking since summer, I suppose. It´s easy to stop now, though.

There are so many things to do in a big city so it´s hard to chose. Yesterday I didn´t chose - I just tagged along. We went to a German church in Gamla Stan to listen to 'Stockholms Gaykör'. It wasn´t too bad, but I had to struggle not to cough all the time - and the more I tried not to, the more I felt that tickling sensation in my throuth. My husband now says he wants to join the choir, but he´s afraid they wouldn´t let him, since he´s not gay. I said he should try anyway, I mean, at least he could become a honorary member, since in a way that choir is actually the reason why he is now living in Stockholm. I´m too tired to try to explain all the details, but it´s a case of one thing leading to another and somebody not wanting to go back to Finland just yet, and because of that I suddenly find myself living alone in my house with 4 cats, while my husband has settled down in a nice apartment in Stockholm - all because of the existence of 'Stockholms Gaykör'.
Sometimes life is just too weird.

Today I´m supposed to do some radio work. My 'partner in crime' when it comes to plane crashes is here, and we´ll try to record 3-4 more accident stories. Some people think this is absolutely crazy, to do radio pieces that tell about different accidents, how they happened, why they happened etc, but on the other hand, many people find it interesting too - even if they think it´s bizarre.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two postings in 24 hours! My riches overflow.

I'm all in favor of writing down dreams, although I don't do it unless I'm traveling and have a journal handy. The surrealist/anthropologist I wrote my master's thesis on--Michel Leiris--had an entire book made of nothing but dreams--a reve-ography, if you will. It's Nuits sans Nuit et Quelque Jours Sans Jour, or, in the English version, Nights as Day Days as Night. The epigraph is from Gerard de Nerval: La reve est une seconde vie. Which sounds like you....

Sun Dec 04, 03:09:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and do you ever read the pilot columnist on Salon? He often writes about how accidents happen--or don't. Might be useful background if you need it for your piece today, even though I know you sometimes have trouble getting on Salon....

I'm working today, too, so I'll be thinking of you as my across-the-sea colleague. Let me know when it's time for the aquavit break!

Sun Dec 04, 03:11:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I just remembered what Michel Leiris called his book of dreams: an oneirography. The Greek version is far classier than the French version I proffered....

Mon Dec 05, 12:49:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nano rules!

Oh sorry. Just have to get in everywhere I can and say it now...

Mon Dec 05, 10:13:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home